It’s so wonderful that you or your child have shown an interest in taking part in the annual the MS Readathon – a fantastic month of sponsored reading, kicking off on October 11th.
Its so simple to sign up!
Not only does this much-loved annual event encourage children across Ireland to get stuck into books (and give them a chance to win fantastic prizes, including one of 10 iPads!), it also raises vital funds for people in your area living with Multiple Sclerosis.
Every parent, guardian and teacher knows just how important reading is to a developing child. It builds their confidence, inspires their imagination and helps them make sense of the world around them.
MS Readathon is the perfect opportunity to encourage your children to read. For kids who are already bookworms, it’s a chance to go deeper – perhaps to challenge themselves with longer, more advanced books.
For children who aren’t so keen on reading, the MS Readathon can help them rediscover the sense of wonder and adventure they once felt when they first heard you say those magic words, “Once upon a time…” And it’s all for a fantastic cause.
There are so many easy ways you can help.
· Remember to encourage your child to read every day, even if it’s just a few pages.
· Ask them about the book they are reading and listen to what they have to say. Your interest is what fuels their passion.
· Set aside a few minutes each day to sit and read with your child. If they see you reading, they’re much more likely to do it too.
· Remember to praise the effort they’re making. It doesn’t matter how many books they read or how fast or slow they read them. The whole idea is just to take part – and that deserves to be celebrated.
· Remind them every day that they are doing something really amazing – helping people living with MS.
One more key way you can get involved is to help your child ask family, friends and neighbours for sponsorship and then you can help them collect all the generous donations and send them to MS Ireland.
We really hope your child will join us and be a special part of this year’s MS Readathon.
It’s going to be so much fun – and make such a difference to so many people.
Fancy yourself as a bit of a bi-lingual bookworm??
Or a bookworm who’d like to challenge themselves a bit more by doing the MS Readathon in a language other than Irish or English?
We’ve teamed up with our friends at Languages Connect (you can learn more about them here) who have very kindly sponsored two extra iPads this year.
To be in with a chance to win one of these, simply raise €80 or more and read over half of your books in a foreign language (excludes English or Irish).